Check if the AppleII Joystick is working using AppleSoft Basic
Apple II Joystick, aka Paddles
- Although we call them Joysticks, back in the 70’s they were called paddles.
Accessing the Analog Joystick direction
- The paddle data can be accessed from Applesoft BASIC using the PDL function.
- Pass the paddle number to the function and it will return the value from the paddle.
- The paddle number matches the direction of switch:
- X = 0
- Y = 1
Accessing the Button status
- There are two buttons.
The status of the joypad buttons can be read using a PEEK and their memory locations:
- **PEEK(49249) — Read Paddle Button #0
**PEEK(49250) — Read Paddle Button #1
- **PEEK(49251) — Read Paddle Button #2
- **PEEK(49248) — Read Paddle Button #3