Install MacOS 9.2.2 on a qemu-based PowerPC VM
Get a copy of MacOS 9.2.2
- MacOS 9.2.2 was the last released version of MacOS Classic
- The macos-922-uni.iso ISO can be downloaded from MacintoshRepository.org
- Store the ISO in /var/lib/libvirt/iso/
Install qemu PPC and the openbios PPC
Create a disk image to install MacOS 9 on to
- Create the disk in /var/lib/libvirt/images/
Install MacOS 9.2.2 on a qemu-based VM
Install MacOS 9.2.2 from CD
- My qemu/kvm box is remote from my local machine, so I had qemu share the screen over vnc
- MacOS 9 does not boot with more than 1024m of RAM, so 1024m of RAM is the max.
- MacOS 9 will not boot with less than 64m of RAM, so 128m is probably a reasonable minimum.
- Specifying boot option d will boot from the CD.
Boot from the MacOS 9 disk
- Specifying boot option c will boot from the disk instead of the CD-ROM.
- The graphics level can be increased to 1024x768 with 32-bit color by adding the switch: -g 1024x768x32
After Dark 4.0 for MacOS 9
- Download After Dark 4.0 for MacOS 9 (After_Dark_for_OS_9.SIT) from MacintoshRepository.org
categories: macos | qemu | macppc | retrocomputing |